March 5, 2013
Formed: Feb. 25 2013
Suspended: Nov. 2013
Submitted: oral report (Annual 2013); oral update (Midwinter 2014)
The Task Force on the Recording of Place Names is charged with continuing CC:DA’s work in clarifying and suggesting revisions to RDA’s instructions on recording the names of places, with the ultimate goal of making these instructions conform to RDA’s goals of 1) creating an international standard and 2) presenting bibliographic information as machine-actionable data. With that in mind, the Task Force will explore, among other options:
- Removing the requirement to record larger places from the instructions for recording preferred and variant forms of names;
- Adding instructions for creating authorized and variant access points of places;
- Creating separate instructions for an element called Name of Larger Place in chapter 16;
- Alternately, creating a relationship element of Larger/Smaller Place.
The Task Force will submit an interim report at Midwinter 2014 and will deliver a final revision proposal at Annual 2014, to be submitted to the JSC for their Fall 2014 meeting.
CC:DA/TF/Machine-Actionable Data Elements in RDA Chapter 3/1/Rev
March 5, 2013
CC:DA Task Force on Machine-Actionable Data Elements in RDA Chapter 3 (2013)
ALA submitted to the JSC a discussion paper (6JSC/ALA/17) developed by the Task Force on Machine-Actionable Data Elements in Chapter 3. In general, the JSC and its constituent bodies agreed that the issues raised in the discussion paper were worth further exploration, and encouraged ALA to continue working on these issues. They also offered some comments and concerns.
The newly reconstituted Task Force on Machine-Actionable Data is charged to:
- Review the comments in the responses to 6JSC/ALA/17 and develop strategies for addressing them.
- Develop a proposal to add the FRBR element Extent of Expression to RDA.
- Develop a discussion paper to be submitted to the JSC on how the Aspect-Unit-Quantity model might be integrated into the RDA element set. Once the JSC has tentatively agreed to a strategy for modifying the element set, draft revision proposals for appropriate instructions for recording the Aspect, Unit, and Quantity elements for Extent and Dimensions and for recording textual Extent and Dimensions statements when the A-U-Q model does not provide sufficient identifying information.
- Develop another discussion paper, for consideration by CC:DA, on how the concept of machine-actionable data elements in RDA might be extended beyond elements containing quantitative information and beyond RDA Chapter 3.
The Task Force should work on these tasks in the order given above. If possible, it should present a draft proposal on adding the element Extent of Expression (task b) to CC:DA at Annual 2013. For the other items, the Task Force should provide a status update at Annual 2013, an interim report at Midwinter 2014, and a draft discussion paper on changes to the RDA element set at Annual 2014 (task c).
Reports and proposals:
TF on Machine-Actionable Data Elements in RDA Chapter 3: Interim Report (May 2013)
Oral report (Midwinter 2014)
Oral report (Annual 2014)
Strawman Proposal: Machine-Actionable Data Elements in RDA Chapter 3 (Midwinter 2015)
Task Force on Machine-Actionable Data Elements in RDA Chapter 3 : Revision Proposal (June, 2015)