Proposal to add the elements “curator agent of work” and “curator agent of work of” to RDA

NARDAC/2020/2 

August 17, 2020 

Proposal to add the elements “curator agent of work” and “curator agent of work of” to RDA.

Thomas Brenndorfer, NARDAC Representative to the RSC.

(Note: This will be a discussion of the proposal process; the RSC will consider the content of the proposal at a future meeting)

Add the element sets “curator agent of work” and “curator agent of work of” as narrower elements to “related work of agent” and “related agent of work” to describe curators who play a role at the work level.

A paper discussion at the October 2020 RDA Steering Committee (RSC) meeting.

RDA Vocabulary Encoding Scheme for Manifestation: Type of Binding

17 September 2020 

RDA Vocabulary Encoding Scheme for Manifestation: Type of Binding.

Gordon Dunsire, Technical Team Liaison Officer;
Ebe Kartus, Wider Community Engagement Officer.

The element Manifestation: type of binding was added to the RDA element set during the 3R Project, with the definition “A method used to bind a published or unpublished manifestation”.

A paper discussion at the October 2020 RDA Steering Committee (RSC) meeting.

Timespan and Units of Time

19 Sep 2020 

Timespan and Units of Time.

Gordon Dunsire, Technical Team Liaison Officer. 

This paper proposes adjustments to treatment of the entity Timespan and associated elements in the beta RDA Toolkit to resolve a conflict with the IFLA Library Reference Model and to improve clarity, coherency, and consistency of the guidance and instructions.

A paper discussion at the October 2020 RDA Steering Committee (RSC) meeting.

Internationalization of RDA Toolkit During the 3R Project

21 Sep 2020

Internationalization of RDA Toolkit During the 3R Project.

Gordon Dunsire, Technical Team Liaison Officer.

This is an informational report on progress made during the RDA Toolkit Restructure and Redesign (3R) Project to support the internationalization strategy of the RDA Board.

A paper discussion at the October 2020 RDA Steering Committee (RSC) meeting.

Revision of the Beta Toolkit Menu Tab for Resources

Gordon Dunsire
RSC Technical Team Liaison Officer
15 June 2020

Revision of the Beta Toolkit Menu Tab for Resources

This paper proposes a further re-organization of the Resource menu of the beta RDA Toolkit, as part of the SES (String Encoding Scheme) Project. The final layout of guidance and instructions within this menu is dependent on discussions about the wider issues of incorporating and managing ‘community’ tools in the Toolkit.

RSC Paper on RDA Conformance

Gordon Dunsire,
RSC Technical Team Liaison Officer
May 12, 2020

The RSC is soliciting feedback on the following paper that will be discussed at the July asynchronous meeting: RDA conformance.

This informative paper explains what is RDA-conformant metadata, “presents a draft expansion of RDA Toolkit guidance to accommodate the topic,” and asks three questions:

“Question 1: Should the RSC offer conformance certification in addition to the passive guidance included in the Toolkit?

Question 2: Should the Toolkit include content for assessing conformance for specific application communities? Content might include examples, alignments and mappings for parsing metadata statements, and decision trees.

Question 3: Should the RSC offer additional technical guidance and support for conformance, interoperability, and mappings between RDA metadata and non-RDA applications?”

Procedures. Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access

Draft Markup
CC:DA/Pro/14/2012 June 1
June 1, 2012

Procedures. Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access

Association for Library Collections and Technical Services (A division of the American Library Association)
Cataloging and Metadata Management Section.

Procedures. Committee on Cataloging:Description and Access

Draft Plain Text
CC:DA/Pro/14/2012 June 1
June 1, 2012

Procedures. Committee on Cataloging:Description and Access

Association for Library Collections and Technical Services (A division of the American Library Association) Cataloging and Metadata Management Section.

Expression Excerpts

4 October 2019

Expression Excerpts

Gordon Dunsire, RSC Technical Team Liaison Officer

Abstract

This paper discusses the issues in recording extracts of expressions and how they can be resolved in RDA Toolkit. The recommendations in the paper are based on a set of assumptions that are listed as propositions. Detailed proposals for additions to RDA guidance and instructions are dependent on agreement with the propositions and recommendations and are not included in this paper.

Background documents:

  • 6JSC/LC/20 – Revisions to Chapter 6 to treat “Selections” as a work attribute
  • 5JSC/LC/12 –  Proposed revision of RDA Chapter 6, Additional instructions for musical works and expressions